two words: charcoal latte
For those that know me... you get my passion for health & always aiming to improve it #cantstopwontstop. It might be a slight obsession, but HEY, you benefit too ;) Because once I try something I love, I post it here (or in the newsletter).
Take for instance this new concoction: the charcoal latte. I've had thoughts of activated charcoal for a while now. I've even had it just sitting in my Amazon cart, but until now could never pull the trigger on the purchase. I'm so glad I finally yes, YES, let's do this because life will never be the same as we know it.
But first... why activated charcoal?
I actually was first intrigued by it for its health properties ON the body (we'll save some experimenting with it this way for a future post), but ever since I went to Park City, Utah last September and had a charcoal latte, this sole (soul?) purpose has been lingering in the back of my mind.
I'm happy to say that it no longer needs to linger back there anymore. We're bringing it front & centre!
So not only are you going to be sipping the coolest looking latte, but HERE, my friends, is what activated charcoal has to offer you from the health standpoint...
- it's cleansing
- it's detoxifying
- it helps pull the toxins from the body and carries them out of the body via the elimination process
Plus, I think it enhances the latte. Or maybe my brain just wants to believe that because of how good it is for the body ;)
Here's how you can make your own at home!
- 1-2 shots of espresso (store-bought or homemade, we use this espresso machine)
- 1/4 to 1 tsp of activated charcoal (here's the one I bought because it's in a glass container)
- 1 cup of ice + milk of choice (I prefer almond/cashew milk)
- optional add-ins: sweetener (I love cane juice crystals), vanilla bean powder, and to add another health notch: chaga extract
- Brew or buy your espresso shot(s).
- Add your activated charcoal to the espresso shot and stir to combine. If you're just starting out, try 1/4 tsp and eventually work up to 1 tsp (this will also determine how dark your latte is!)
- In a tall glass, fill 3/4 full with ice and add in milk of choice (+ optional other add-ins), leaving about 1-2 inches of room at the top.
- Add your charcoal espresso shot to your glass of milk and ice.
- Stir to combine.
You might have a hard time "holding back" on this drink like me, but when something taste SO GOOD... you just gotta go for it!
Next up: playing in the field of ON the body with this key ingredient, so stay tuned. I promise I won't turn you into a dark monster on the outside as well as the inside ;) XO