Well, I didn't think it was possible to wing it (pun intended ;) on this sorta recipe on the first try, but I did!
Let me tell you the back story to this recipe. though.. There is this healthy bistro that we go to in Orlando and I loveeee their cauli-wings there. So much that I could probably eat them everyday. But this is not sustainable. I can't show up at the bistro everyday demanding cauli-wings without it impacting my wallet... so I got creative ;)
I decided that I was going to try to make my own at home and make them taste good. Well, mission accomplished!
From the very first test batch I had nailed the flavour and mouthfeel I was looking for. Naturally, I got on my laptop RIGHT AWAY, saved this as a draft, and the rest is now history as I share this deliciousness with you today.
BUT GUYS, BEWARE!!! This recipe is SUPER easy to do and only requires a few ingredients. We need more recipes like this in our lives, right?!?! Plus, not only is it vegan and gluten-free, but it's paleo-friendly with a couple switches!
BOOM (go your tastebuds as they light up in delight after you make these)!!
Vegan, gluten free, adaptable to make it paleo
- 1 (medium sized) head of cauliflower (preferably organic)
- a few tsp extra virgin olive oil/EVOO or avocado oil
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1-2 tsp arrowroot flour/powder
- Pinch of salt (optional; I omitted)
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce (no replacement)
- 1-2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1-2 tsp tamari soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 400*F & line a baking tray/sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine cauli-coating in a small bowl and then wash + chop up cauliflower into bite-size wing pieces.
- Toss the cauliflower in the cauli-coating making sure mixture it on all sides, then evenly spread out in single layer on baking tray.
- Drizzle with EVOO (only lightly drizzle over the tray) and place in oven for 15-20 mins.
- While baking, prepare your cauli-sauce in a medium to large bowl (depending on the amount of cauliflower you have).
- Remove from oven when time's up. Your wings should be nice and crispy.
- Add your wings to your cauli-sauce bowl and toss to coat evenly, then place back on baking tray.
- Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!
BONUS: Make a super simple dipping sauce by combining vegenaise + a squeeze of lemon juice + chopped cilantro and/or parsley!
MAKE IT PALEO:
- find a paleo-friendly hot sauce in place of Frank's
- use coconut aminos instead of tamari