easy butternut squash soup
It's no joke, but I'm obsessed with soups right now. I think I've eaten one everyday for the past two weeks. And no, I don't even wish I was joking. They're not only super easy to prepare, but can often turn out super delicious with only a few ingredients. They're pretty much flawless in terms of how food goes, because you can pretty much take anything in your produce drawer and turn it into a beautiful, soul-warming bowl of goodness.
I don't want to admit this, but I will, before last year, I think I was afraid to make soup. I thought it had to be complicated and sophisticated. Good thing I broke the barrier and said good-bye to boxed soup.
This recipe proves how easy making your own soup can be - and how unsophisticated soup really is (just don't tell it that!)
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20-25 mins
Ingredients (approx. 6 cups)
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions and garlic, sautéing for 5 mins.
- Next, add in spices, continue to mix, then add in butternut squash and mix.
- Add in vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low/simmer, cover and let cook for 20 mins.
- Once the butternut squash is soft, puree with an immersion blender, or transfer to regular blender and blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking and serve!
Next barrier to break? Remembering to double each and every soup I make.
Because how am I suppose to keep enjoying soup everyday if I currently eat it as fast as I make it?